[CQ-Contest] Band edge violations

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Band edge violations
From: "Rich Gelber, K2WR" <k2wr@njdxa.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:53:31 -0500
On Sunday I saw a spot for a European station on 14349.3.  I went up there
to listen, and, sure enough, he was running W's (although not a great many).

Problem #1:  There's no way I can legally tell him he's encouraging U.S.
stations to violate the rules (except maybe by doing so on CW).

Problem #2:  I thought about sending out another DX spot with a comment, but
the Alt-A window in CT (for example) doesn't display the remarks field, so
sending out such a spot (with the correct frequency) would only have
resulted in my contributing to the problem.

In the few seconds available before I went back to running (elsewhere) I was
unable to come up with a reasonable way to warn people about calling on
14349.3, without probably getting even more people to do so.  I hate to
suggest even more rules, but maybe the contest rules should state that QSO's
shown to have taken place within 2 kHz of the appropriate band edge (for
USB/LSB) will not count?

Rich K2WR