[CQ-Contest] ARRL Phone - 40 m lack of bandplan compliance

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Phone - 40 m lack of bandplan compliance
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 13:38:40 -0500
VK2CZ wrote:
Besides, now that CW has been dropped from most jurisdictions, I would
expect CW allocations to gradually disappear.

        I suspect most licensing authorities will continue to suggest
segmenting by signal bandwidth as the FCC currently does.  CW, PSK, FSK,
etc all being <1 kHz and AM, SSB, SSTV, FM, etc all being >1 kHz.  A very
strong argument can be made for segmenting by bandwidth, because of the
non-reciprocal effects of QRM.  A wide bandwidth operator can retain most
intelligibility by using a notch or narrowband filter on an interfering
narrowband signal, but narrowband operators cannot filter wideband
signals which completely fill the spectrum used by narrowband modes.
I also remind everyone that CW was the first "digital" mode, and digital
modes (e.g PSK) are experiencing the most rapid growth of any mode.  Were
it not for this growth in narrowband digital modes, I might agree with
your comment above.

73, Bill W4ZV