Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Phone - 40 m lack of bandplan compliance

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL Phone - 40 m lack of bandplan compliance
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:03:15 -0500
At 01:38 PM 3/9/2004, Bill Tippett/W4ZV wrote:
>        I suspect most licensing authorities will continue to suggest
>segmenting by signal bandwidth as the FCC currently does.  CW, PSK, FSK,
>etc all being <1 kHz and AM, SSB, SSTV, FM, etc all being >1 kHz.

Bill isn't often wrong, but the FCC regulates ham radio by mode, not by
bandwidth.
And most licensing authorities are moving to regulation by bandwidth, not mode.

We now have wideband digital modes in the "narrowband" portions of the HF
bands.  Examples are:
    Pactor-3 -->
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/techchar/PACTOR-III.html
    Q15X25 --> http://home.att.net/~ronchap/q15x25modes/q15x25.htm

               -- Tom

e-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com    YCCC --> http://www.yccc.org/
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444