Re: [CQ-Contest] Good Book for a Teenager?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Good Book for a Teenager?
From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:20:13 -0500

Eric,

In tenth grade, I was in my second ham year. I was reading W6SAI's Radio Handbook (dreaming of the stack of single-band 813 amps in my shack), ARRL's Handbook for Radio Amateurs, ARRL's Antenna Handbook and Hint & Kinks, to say nothing of QST and 73 magazines.

How about the ARRL Operating Manual as an entry level book about amateur radio? It's well-written and won't be talking down to him. It contains descriptions and requirements for most all varieties of ham radio activities, a few/some/many which may spark his interest further.

If nothing else, he loses interest in the idea of becoming a ham and you get the book back.

73,
dale, kg5u

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:45:46 -0400