[CQ-Contest] Interfacing IC756PROII to sound card

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, ic756pro2@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Interfacing IC756PROII to sound card
From: Steve <steveac@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:54:02 -0500
A couple of questions for those of you who have interfaced an IC756PROII
to a computer sound card. My goal is to be able to use pre-recorded wav
files as audio input to the transceiver. Contest software is N1MMLogger and it will provide a PTT function via a pin on a serial port.

Is it ok to feed the audio out of the sound card speaker jack (it's
colored green on my Creative AudioPCI sound card) thru a low-to-high
impedance transformer to the IC756PROII ACC1 pin 4? I think a Radio
Shack 273-1380 transformer is 8 ohm to 1000 ohm, so that's what I'm
leaning toward.

The Icom manual identifies ACC1 pin 4 as "Modulator input" and further specifies its input impedance as 10K and input level as approximately 100mV rms. How will the level provided by the sound card compare to that 100mV rms spec? Any advice on how to match the hopefully higher sound card level to ACC1 pin 4?

Is feeding the audio to the rig on ACC1 pin 4 just as good as the mic input? Advantages or disadvantages one compared to the other for contesting?

What's a good way to make the connection to ACC1 pin 4? I already have a DIN plug in ACC1 which is cabled to a footswitch for PTT function. Wonder if I should terminate the 8 pins of ACC1 on a terminal strip for the sake of accessibility by footswitch, audio input and perhaps future needs?

Thanks for the advice!!

Steve K8JQ