Re: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Next BIG Step in contesting
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 20 Nov 2004 20:33:23 -0600
On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 16:07, K3BU@aol.com wrote:
> Lets post the complete logs on web sites instead of "real time reporting".

I've done this after the contest a few times.  I'd like to see more
people do so; I think it would be interesting to read the competition's
log & see what they're doing differently.  It's really fairly easy, and
most of us have access to at least a little bit of web space.

> Real time reporting: Like people are not busy enough during the contest
> minding their own operation, they need to see what competitors are doing?
> Personally, I want to run like hell and when it is all over, I would like to
> see how the others did.

I really think this is more for the spectators than for the
competitors.  But the competitors depend on the spectators.  Anything we
can do to attract the attention of those who aren't competing adds QSOs
to our logs and fun to our weekends.

> So what, if W3LPL is ahead by 200k points, are you going to step on the gas?
> Otherwise you would operate your usual "leisurely" way? Lets get real here.

Why are there cheerleaders at the local high-school basketball game?  If
the players are already playing at their full ability then I guess the
cheerleaders are just trying to look pretty and get some
exercise<grin>.

Seriously, even when you *think* you're running as fast as you possibly
can, a little burst of adreneline can get you going even faster.  The
knowledge that W3LPL is ahead by 200k could trigger that adreneline.
(I hope we mean CQ WW; if W3LPL's ahead by 200k in SS it's time to shut
off the radio & go to bed<grin>!)

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66