Re: [CQ-Contest] Limited Antenna Height Category

To: <PaulKB8N@aol.com>, <rdetweil@hotmail.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Limited Antenna Height Category
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:36:44 -0600
Hi Paul-- it sounds as though you are in the San Antonio Area-- my home is in
the Hill Country.  Maybe we will meet, after I develop some mobility following
major knee surgery last week.

I know what you are saying, and I agree that those who chose to live in a deed
or covenant restricted neighborhood have chosen for themselves.  That is one of
the reasons I have set up a location near Kerrville where I am not restricted.

That said, I am pushing to encourage other contesters with similar setups to
yours to feel they have a chance at some recognition, in order to get them to
develop the skills and station organization to be active players.  I keep
hearing about the average age of contesters, and indeed all hams, getting
higher and higher.  That is simply a trend which cannot continue.  (I myself am
63.)  I am simply recognizing it is harder and harder to find a decent house in
a decent neighborhood without draconian restrictions, which make a tower and
beams increasingly available to a smaller and smaller slice of the contesting
community.  If we are unable to change the demographics of the contesters, then
sometime in the next 20 years I expect contesting will dry up.

I am planning to play in the 10M test in 2 weeks with a single radio and a
dipole at 10 feet, the only antenna I can have where I am doing recuperation in
Houston.  I will have fun if there is any propagation, but I am grateful that
after my recovery I will be able to go to a better antenna equipped station.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Rusty