Re: [CQ-Contest] Sloper Antenna

To: dan r goddard <cqki8fh@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sloper Antenna
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:29:25 -0500

On Feb 14, 2005, at 8:37 AM, dan r goddard wrote:

Those of you that work with sloper antennas, I have some questions.  I
have an unbalanced wire with a center connector running 450 ohm latter
line.  The top is 60' feet and the bottom is about 8' above the ground.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is this a doublet, or just one size (like a zepp)? How long in wavelengths? 1/2 wave?

The antenna is aimed South. What would the radiation pattern be of this
antenna. Would it be South or would it radiate in some other direction.
I have never taken an inverted V antenna and made a sloper out of it. Is
such possible?

If it is a half-wave dipole, at any angle between about 30 and 60 degrees, it will tend to have a pattern that will emphasize the direction to which it is sloped. As it gets more vertical, it will have a more omni-directional pattern, and more horizontal, a more broadside pattern.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901