Re: [CQ-Contest] HQ station thing

To: <ha1ag@yahoo.com>, <k1ttt@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] HQ station thing
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:56:08 +0600
> IMO HQs should be governed by the same rules as MS's, because
>
> 1, The HQ's are taking too much spectra by constant CQing(by often
not being limited by anything eg own interference limits) not
allowing averege stations to join the fun which actually
contraproductive for the contest.

> 2, Currently HQs have nothing to do with competition and tackling
technical challanges (the two cornerstones of contesting IMHO) but by
own country ham population (se DA0HQ 160m SSB QSO figures) and
geographical distribution of FBG (remember old Doom game?) stations.

> You David, you maybe have a point,too. Yuri should better target
his complaints and coomunication to the organizers but remember what
the US guys obtained with their constant whining abt WPX scoring, so
starting a debate here might get rewarded, too.

> 73, Zoli HA1AG

Hi Zoli and all,
I think IARU turns into very specific contest (at least in EU) where
individual results are becoming less and less important. Instead
great competition is going on between National HAM radio
organizations. It has a lot to do with competition and technical
challenges. Organizing distributed multi-multi, passing pileup from
one station to another, PTT lock out over internet just name a few.
It also requires a lot of organizational work on the part of National
society. There is clear need to gain the support of those who are not
really keen contesters. Only very well organized National society can
win and that requires mobilizing all the available radio amateurs in
the country. That automatically introduces many non contesters to
contesting. I think we should not change rules for HQ stations and
let the IARU contest drift in the direction of "National societies
compete against each other". That will differ this contest from many
other contests that we have. The  result of the contest will be a
good  indicators of how healthy and strong  National society is.

73, Igor UA9CDC