Re: [CQ-Contest] Slashed-Zero - Please Don't

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Slashed-Zero - Please Don't
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:15:19 -0400
The solution is not to use the "slash zero" extended ASCII character, which
is what Ward is alluding to.

The solution, for those concerned about the problem, is for YOU to use as a
DISPLAY font a font that automatically displays the character Zero as a
Slashed Zero -- but stores the character correctly as the number Zero.  The
Monaco font, for one, comes to mind here.

I've run into a related problem when extracting from my log (stored in dBase
.dBF format) to print QSL cards (from Microsoft Publisher, which requires a
conversion of the database to MS Access in order to use the merge
capability, which is another story).  To make the calls look right, I used
to have to manually edit them "zeros" to "slash zeroes."  Now, I use Monaco,
and it displays (and prints) the callsign zeroes correctly without requiring
an extra level of manual intervention.

73, ron wn3vaw