Re: [CQ-Contest] Making the most of 40M SSB

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Making the most of 40M SSB
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:33:51 +0100
Even 20m follows the same pattern now. No big deal
but this time there was stations down to 14098, only
2 kHz outside but this was a first for me atleast.

Bill Coleman wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2005, at 2:40 AM, LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad wrote:
>

>>I came on 40 m this morning, only to find several phone stations as
>>low as
>>7012 !
>

> The lowest I heard was SV1CVY, who was at 7000.5, which, in my book,
> is out of band. He was calling CQ.

There was plenty activety in the 7000-7010 slot.

>>It is  very disappointing that so many phone contesters show no
>>respect for
>>the IARU bandplan !    What a nuisance !

Yes but it could have been fixed. Over 15 years ago I had ideas
about how it could have been fixed, I wrote about it on the reflector
also, at that point it wasn´t as bad as it is today. However
nobody did do anything.

> Yeah, it's easy to just complain about this, but think about the
> entire situation.
>
> There's currently only 100 kHz of band in regions 1 and 3. During a
> contest, everyone wants a frequency -- hundreds, if not thousands of

This is like saying, if you are out driveing your car and there is too
much traffic on the narrow road and due to that you can´t go fast enough,
use the area the pedestrians use even if you will run over a few.

73 SM2EKM