Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

To: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,"Alan Leith" <aleith@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:00:48 -0800
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>

> (d) The contests would be better off without packet at all.  One option
>    is always to turn it off and tune the radio instead.
>
> --
> Kenneth E. Harker WM5R

The really annoying thing I found this weekend were the stations
who were only identifying every 5 or 10 minutes because they
had a steady diet of packet assisted stations feeding their pileups
who knew their callsign a priori. As a single-op unassisted, it's a
royal PITA when you are trying to make the most of your operating
time to have to sit on a frequency for 5 or 10 minutes listening to a
huge pileup and wondering if you really need that station for a
multiplier because he won't identify.

Packet can be fun if your just chasing DX, so I won't rain on
packet user's parade (sometimes I am a packet user), but I just
wish that the rare DX in the contests wouldn't assume that we
are all using it all the time. Send your call each QSO like
ZD8Z/N6TJ does.