Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WW SSB - the corruptive influence of packet
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 18:10:02 -0600
Folks,

I realize that packet causes lots of problems in contests but it is not the
cause of all evil in contesting. There have been lots of stations that
identify infrequently for years...certainly before packet was in common use.

It is really easy to blame the things you don't like for the all the
foolishness we hear in the contests. Outlawing packet tomorrow would not
have the impact that many might hope. We have large numbers of stations that
are not entering the contest but just hoping to work a few new countries.
(We hope lots and lots of these stations.) They will continue to use packet
and cause whatever negative consequences that result.

Considering the large numbers of Multi's, assisted stations and stations
that don't enter the contests, the numbers of S/O stations improperly using
packet is probably a pretty small percentage. This isn't to say that what
they are doing is right. It is not. I just think that the number is pretty
small considering all the "smoke and fire" that this topic has generated.

Hopefully, any change in the contest rules will be well-considered. Changes
can have both positive and negative consequences. I sure hope that we don't
make the rules so "pristine" that it's no fun anymore.

Bill, W5VX