Re: [CQ-Contest] FT990 CAT Problem Solved

To: "'Tom Moore'" <wx4tm@tm-moore.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT990 CAT Problem Solved
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:44:55 -0400
Tom,

Yaesu radios including the FT-990, FT-1000D with TTL CAT ports use an
emitter follower with a high impedance as driver on the SO (serial out)
line.  This is no problem when driving Yaesu's FIF-232C which uses an
optical isolator.  However, when driving a TTL or CMOS gate (7408,
MAX-232, etc.) used in many of the home made TTL-RS232 converters, the
emitter follower does not provide enough load to pull input of the
buffer/converter low (< 0.5 volt) in the off state.

Yaesu recognized the problem and added a 1.5K resistor from SO to
ground in later production of the FT-990, FT-1000D and other radios
using a similar circuit.  In practice any resistor between 1 K and
4.7K will probably work.

There is a  very quick way to determine if your Yeasu is effected ...
turn off the radio and measure resistance from pin 2 (SO) and pin 1
(ground) of the CAT jack.  If you measure less than 5 K Ohms, you
should add a 1.5 K or 2.2 K resistor inside the radio (first choice)
or to the interface (second choice).

By the way, all microHAM interfaces include a proper "pull down" to
work with both early and late Yaesu radios.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV