Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Pointers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Pointers
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:44:14 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Guys.  I can totally appreciate the frustration of SIGNIFICANT zero point Qs
for many running stations in the US that are outsdie the Northeast.  However,
why is the dialog towards radically changing the contest.  I for one like CQ WW
the way it is.  I also like WPX the way it is and IARU the way it is.  And
quite frankly think the Yuri's "perfect contest" concept has merit too.  But
they are different contests.  Just ask SS guys about changing the rules of only
working a station once and changing it to once a band.  The answer you will get
is "then it becomes the NA QSO party".  Well, its the same answer here.  If you
like the IARU format or WPX format great, but lets not try and water down
specific contests and lose their character.

The simple and non-character changing solution to this REAL problem is this
"eliminate your own country as a valid mult for all participants and that
within country contacts do no count period".  That would eliminate the way too
many people pouncing on a dozen or so BEACON stations and not change the
character of the contest for the rest of the world.

If we are actually lobbying to change CQ WW scoring format, rather than
eliminating zero pointers, then lets call a spade a spade, shall we....and to
this I must strenously oppose.

I like CQ WW.  I don't like SS.  That's why there is a lot of flavors of ice
cream too...

Ed  N1UR