Re: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:56:58 -0500
I agree that the multi-multi or even the loud single bander such as K4XS on
40 SSB has been that you get a lot of zero point QSOs.   To just ignore the
callers is wrong as is to not really log them.  One way is to answer even
the weakest signal on the split frequency if the only callers on your
frequency are zero pointers.  If a competitive station wants a USA or zone
mult they will quickly look elsewhere.

The idea that NQ4I has regarding partner mode will be a big help in this
regard as a multi will have more ears to hear
different Dx calling.  This way NQ4I or the multi station can pick and
choose when and if they want to work a zero point station.  The bonus is the
correct call is logged more often!

Two other problems I have had in the past especially with split mode are the
stations who call in several times as dupes.  This was bad when I operated
on 10 at a multi single station and the several years when I ran single band
40.  The second problem that is mostly a 40 problem but I understand is
encounted on 75 are the "worked b4" that strong stations get due to the few
open spots for listening above 7150.  I try to send the call of the station
being worked but its sometimes not possible.  The real solution is to work
all dupes (I refer back to part one here).

between dupes and zero point QSos you do lose a lot of effort.

73 Dave K4JRB