Re: [CQ-Contest] Amplified headfones

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Amplified headfones
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:39:18 -0800
MFJ makes some sort of device to assist the hearing impaired.  I have no
first hand experience with it but I do suffer from hi freq hearing loss
due to jet engine noise exposure for 25 years and have considered it for
myself.

Eric Hilding wrote:

>Tom, W7WHY, wrote:
>

>>With my hearing slowly getting worse every year, I noticed this year I had a
>>hard time in the SS.  I am now wearing hearing aids and it is hard to get
>>them adjusted right without squealing or not being loud enough.  Without
>>them I have to turn the volume almost all the way up on the receiver to
>>hear, and that distorts the signals.
>>
>>Does anyone use amplified headphones? I wouldn't be interested in some whiz
>>bang type I'd have to pay 4 or 5 hundred dollars for.  I would need some
>>kind I could modify to use the Heil boom mike with.  It would be nice not
>>having to mess with the hearing aids when contesting.  73 and TIA
>>Tom W7WHY
>>

>Sorry to hear about your challenging situation there, Tom.  I'm sure you are
>not alone in Contesting-Land.
>
>Umh, have you considered the possibility of just taking the hearing aids out,
>and CRANKING-UP-THE-VOLUME (I said: CRANKING-UP-THE-VOLUME) on your Radio???
>
>If you have hearing aids crafted for certain frequency range boosts, etc.,
>then what about getting an inexpensive outboard preamp or mini-audio mixer of
>some type, inserting that in your headphone line, and tweaking the frequency
>ranges where you may need either a boost or roll off?  It would seem to me
>this might be a more comfortable approach, and possibly less expensive than
>trying to find suitable headphones with the widgetry and than having to figure
>out how to Rube Goldberg  a Heil boom on them.
>
>Radio Shack might have something!
>
>Just some thoughts, OM.
>
>73...
>
>RIck, K6VVA

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
Aviation Chief Warrant Officer,  U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscgradio.net
http://www.comm-one.org