Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 17:34:22 -0000
Hi Ev,

Wow, first NASCAR and now softball. Sports... is there any problem they
can't solve? :)

Anyway, as it states in the rules you provided, it is a judgement call...
not de facto.

"Umpires will be using discretion on some rules. Example: Third base coach
touches base runner. The umpire may issue a warning. It will be a judgment
call in regards to whether that contact in any way assisted the runner in
staying on the base or redirecting her momentum towards home. Players will
not be penalized for hugging or congratulating each other at third base."

If that casual contact makes a quantum change in the score, then it would be
up to the contest organizers to make the final determination after a session
of the Scoring Review Board. There is a Scoring Review Board, isn't there?

If I work you on 14240 and say "Congratulations, if you got that P5 on
14245", what are you going to do?

Besides, as I opined, I don't think a few casual contacts made with
volunteered commentary amounts to a hill of beans in this crazy world...
unless a large number of S&P operators take it upon themselves to scour the
bands giving out tidbits of info to each and every station they contact.
Then it would have to be addressed further.

Now, after reading those softball rules, there seem to be a few others that
could apply to contesting as well. How about.....

"7. Pinch Runner
A pinch runner can be used only in case of injury to a player. This rule
should be enforced and we should be able to use good judgment and good
sports ethics on this and not abuse the privilege.
-- Be sure to tell the scorekeeper of the other team.
-- If you find that you need a pinch runner, the team rep should tell the
other team's rep and the umpire at the beginning of the game.
-- The pinch runner should not be a player that is in the game (unless you
don't have enough players).
-- The umpire is to make a line where the runner should stand (to the right
of the umpire at a safe distance of four or five feet). If the runner goes
beyond this line before the ball is hit, the umpire can call the runner out.

-- There is no bunting or drop-3rd strike when you have a pinch runner."

If you remove "injury" and insert "lunch, bathroom breaks, sleep, etc." it
may be OK. Sort of eliminates the M/S and M/2 categories though.

"16. Blowouts
If a team has over ten runs and the other team has none, the winning team
should have gracious sensitivity toward the losing team. Don't be
condescending, etc. Consider a change of strategy: change players around,
don't steal, etc."

As applied to radiosport... "If a station in any category gets significantly
more points than any or all other stations in that category by the end of
the first 6 hours of a contest, the higher-scoring station must change
strategy, stop operating for a period of 2 hours, reduce power, etc."

Sounds good to me.

"17. Pitching
If the pitch is too fast, the team rep or an individual player should speak
to the umpire about it; she will then ask the other team to slow the pitch
down. Be reasonable. The umpire can call a "no pitch" if the pitcher still
throws too fast."

Again... "If station in any category makes contacts significantly faster
than any or all other stations in the same category, the contest sponsor can
remove those contacts deemed having been made too quickly." Hmmm.... might
be a bit harsh.

But this one....

"2. NO drinking
No drinking alcohol during games. No drinking at the tournament until all
games are finished."

This has no place in contesting. ;-)

73 -- Paul VO1HE