Re: [CQ-Contest] Keep it to yourself: The only consistent method

To: steve.root@culligan4water.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Keep it to yourself: The only consistent method
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 07:19:35 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 00:35:56 +0000, steve.root@culligan4water.com
 wrote:

>If you get information that helps you in the contest by OPERATING YOUR RADIO
>then as far as I'm concerned it's OK. As others have pointed out, you are
>being "assisted" by everyone who answers your CQ. If I tune across KT0R and
>hear him running JA's then he is "assisting" me with propagation information.
>If I hear a pileup everyone in that pileup is assisting me with the
>information that a rare multiplier is under there somewhere. And it's no big
>deal because I was OPERATING MY RADIO. Isn't that what we're supposed to be
>doing?????

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

In the context of contesting, "assistance" means the help of a third
person in finding and/or working other stations, or in operating the
equipment at your station. Also, in order to be "assisted", any
spotting info must be either solicited by you or fed directly to you,
so whatever you overhear on the air NOT DIRECTED TO YOU does not
affect your unassisted status.

The ARRL White Paper on good HF contest practices is at:

http://www.arrl.org/contests/hf-faq.html

While it applies only to ARRL contests, most other contest sponsors
have a similar outlook, I believe.

73, Bill W6WRT