[CQ-Contest] The Humor of it all....

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Humor of it all....
From: J F <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:40:06 -0800 (PST)
I?ve been semi-following the various ?ethical? threads
and figure there are others probably pondering these
exchanges of words. I work CW contests, so my comments
are only taken from my experiences. Some things come
to mind:

If I?m not a ?serious? contester, I?m either looking
for new multipliers (DXCC, Counties, Zones), handing
some QSOs out to my buddies (Hmmm, assisted???), or
working the loudest signals.

If I?m not a ?top ten? contender, but I am a tough
multiplier and you?ve slid up or down and crushed me
on a frequency that I had been trying to get something
going (or keep something going) because you didn?t
bother to listen first, you can pretty much count on
not getting a QSO this contest from me?

If you call a directional CQ for Lower Slombovia,
you?re still going to have fifteen other stations
calling you regardless of who you?re calling because:
A) they can?t hear you to begin with, but you?ve been
spotted; B) They can?t hear you to begin with but
everyone else is calling and it must be someone they
need; C) they can hear you and they were there first
and you best respond to them first; D) They?re trying
to tell you that they?ve been working this frequency
for the last hour and you should slide away; E)
they?re SO2R and swamped on their run frequency,
maniacally hitting the F1 key for the wrong radio; F)
intentionally interfering. Statistically, I suspect
that a direction call is pretty much a waste of time.
In some ways, I can see it as detrimental, ?cuz the
?other? guy now knows you don?t have that multiplier
he picked up 15 minutes ago?

If the rules that are in place right now aren?t
strictly adhered to, why would you think new rules
would help the matter out?

If you log the folks you think are operating
unethically contest after contest, then you're
condoning that behavior... I'm guessing we are all
guilty of that.

If, after spending tens of thousands, if not hundreds
of thousands of dollars on your station, not to
mention prime real estate, maybe bring in some top
notch operator and feel you have to see how far you
can stretch the interpretation of the rules that works
for you? for a piece of paper, plaque, write-up. Well,
how sad is that?

Happily, there are only a handful of folks who violate
any true sense of sportsmanship, wish it were none?
There are a plethora of great contest operators that I
look forward to logging, time after time. I actually
get a kick out of the newbies, who are actually
excited that someone heard them, even tho' the QSO may
not go smooth or fast.

My hat is off to the vast majority, who play fair,
have fun and make it fun for those who don't think
contesting is the ultimate experience...

73,
Julius Fazekas
n2wn