Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration
From: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:51:10 -0600

Comfort is a big deal to me, Pete.

If I'm not comfortable, I'm cannot focus.

1.  I turn off the room lights.  I have one of the clamp-on type flex lamps
with a 20w bulb in it for 'ambient' lighting so I can see the keyboard.
Otherwise, the rest of the room is dark.  I don't wear shoes during a
contest.  My shack is carpeted, but my feet still get chilly.  I put down
two or three beach towels for my feet to play with.  My footswitch is large,
made of 1x6"x3' boards, springs, piano hinge and momentary switches.  It's
no problem 'finding' the footswitch and the towels aren't a problem.

2.  I have a fan running at slow speed in the far corner of the room to
augment air circulation so my little world doesn't get stuffy... I have a
couple of muffin fans blowing across the Omni VI's heat sinks, but at 5w
output, the heatsinks aren't really getting THAT warm.

3.  The inspiratonal, morale-building, and reminders-why-I'm-doing-this
post-it's referred to in a previous responder's post are also used here.  I
also post my previous scores with 6-hour QSO number breakdowns to gage how
I'm doing.

73 and HNY,

Dale, kg5u