Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration

To: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>,"cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Improving Concentration
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:29:33 -0600
I agree all around with Dave and George, K5TR. There is a book titled The
Ethical Brain, which goes into how important extensive practice is for all
expert-level people who deal with physical and mental coordination. It
stresses how crucial practice is. Top golf and tennis and baseball players
as well as singers and violinists and pianists excel in part because of
incredibly dedicated practice schedules, and in part because they have
unusually high aptitudes. Some of this is genetic. Contesting is a
combination of physical and mental capability. From my experience, the best
contesters get a great deal of experience (they do a lot of contesting) and
also they are talented in this area. It's the combination of both practice
and inherent ability that produces the top levels. Maintaining focus and
concentration is one area of expertise aided by practice.

 From my experience, as K5TR stated, after a while one has experienced most
"highs" and "lows" in contests, and can continue, and not get sidetracked,
when difficult things happen. There are fewer mistakes. There is a saying
in sports that "the game slows down" as one gets better and more
experienced. I agree with that, and have found that contesting "slows down"
even as it gets faster the more experience one gets. You can "hear the
world turn" more clearly.

Jim George N3BB