[CQ-Contest] Bonaire and Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Bonaire and Contesting
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:29:04 -0500
  Hi All,

    I am trying to collect some information about the past contest activity
that has taken place from
  Bonaire. This is for a webpage I am putting together. I will be also giving a
presentation about our
 contest trips to PJ4,  along with K4BAI to the SEDXC club this month.

 I pretty much know about about all the operations that have taken place from
the PJ4G/K2NG house
 since about 2000.

Here is a list I have compiled :

PJ4G    2000 ARRL DX SSB
PJ4G    2001 ARRL DX SSB
PJ4G    2002 ARRL DX SSB
PJ4W    2002 CQWW CW
PJ4G    2003 ARRL DX CW
PJ4G    2004 ARRL DX SSB
PJ4R    2004 ARRL DX CW
PJ4P    2004 WPX SSB
PJ4M    2004 CQWW CW
PJ4Z    2004 ARRL TEN
PJ4R    2005 ARRL DX CW
PJ4G    2005 ARRL DX SSB
PJ4Y    2005 WPX SSB
PJ4W    2005 CQWW SSB
PJ4R    2006 ARRL DX CW
PJ4G            2006 ARRL DX SSB
PJ4E    2006 CQWW SSB
PJ4A    2007 ARRL DX CW
PJ4/KU8E   2007 ARRL DX CW
PJ4G           2007 ARRL DX SSB

If you have operated a contest at the K2NG QTH and I left you off the list
please email me.

I am especially interested in finding out about the operations from PJ1B/PJ4B
that took place
in the 1980 - 1990's. Any recollections, pictures, comments about what you
remember would
appreciated. I would also be interested in finding out about any pre-PJ4B
operations from Bonaire as well.

>From what I have been able to find out on the internet is that Chet Brandon
>who developed the Coral Cliffs Resort,  went over to Bonaire and built PJ1B
>before he died.  He lived in the house next door.  He also built the house
>that PJ9JT owned - now PJ2T . During our PJ4R trip in 2005  - N5OT, W9RE and
>myself  visited the old PJ4B contest site. A Canadian couple were caretakers
>of the QTH. From what I remember there was only one tower still standing and
>parts of some antennas on the grounds. There was also a shipping container
>which probably had stuff in it as well.

I have now been going to Bonaire for the past 4 years and really like the
place. I plan to take future
trips at least once a year....

73, Jeff  KU8E , PJ4R