Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:32:50 -0400 (EDT)
--- Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com> wrote:

> What about remote-site Contesting where all the
> "transmitters  and receivers" are located within the
> area as described, but the Contest op is sitting
> next to his home QTH fireplace on a snowy winter
> evening "operating" via a notebook computer in his
> rocking chair?  Umh, assumably there will be more
> "rocking chairs" in future use as Contesters
> continue to age :-)

As a VE3, I'd love to have a remote contest station on
Sable Island (180 mi off the Nove Scotia coast) and
another on the west coast of Vancouver Island (British
Columbia) and operate from home.

Operationally, very interesting, but it presents some
problems in the contest, i.e., I'm now operating from
multiple CQ Zones and multiple call districts.

U.S. hams who live in the lower 48 but set up a remote
site in Hawaii have the same problem, and are also
operating from multiple DXCC entities (just to
complicate things).

Maybe the rules will have to be amended some day to
include the operators in the same 500 metre circle as
the transmitters and receivers...or at least within
the same call district, province/state, country or
Zone (pick one most suitable to the contest scoring
system) to acknowledge the increased capabilities
brought about by new technologies.

Just a thought...

73,

Ken Alexander, VE3HLS