Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 08:54:37 -0500 (CDT)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the idea being put forth is that when you
have a remote station located far away, you are working the operator at
HIS QTH, not the remote station's location.

In the paragraph below where it says "Paul is right. Amateur radio, and
contesting in particular, is a point-to-point (single-point to
single-point), person-to-person, solely-RF-based technology" it is perhaps
assuming that the "point" is in the same location as the "person".  This
is usually the case.  But with a remote station, it ISN'T the case.

If I am in Illinois but the remote station is in New York and I operate
Sweepstakes, I will go with the appropriate New York section in my
exchange, not Illinois, for that is where the transmitter is actually
located.

It gets even worse if the transmitter is located overseas.  It is going to
have to be licensed in the country where it is located and that is the
country/zone that must be used. Do you think the government of Guatemala
is going to allow a station set up there to sign a W callsign when it
transmits?

But what would be the purpose of setting up a station in another country
to operate remotely if you won't use a callsign for that country?

These are questions no one asked 20 years ago.  It's all very interesting.

73, Zack W9SZ