Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?

To: vo1he@rac.ca
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When is a QSO not a QSO?
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:58:25 -0500
Paul,

"But, like you say, if the object of the exercise is to just talk to people
regardless of where they are, then use Echolink, Skype, or the telephone. I
got involved with amateur radio to talk to people directly in distant lands
as opposed to neighbours who have radios in foreign lands. Point to point
communications is the key."

This shows you miss the point completely.   We are not championing talking
to people regardless of where they are using whatever means.  EchoLink and
Skype are technologies used by ham radio operators.  They are NOT ham
radio.  You are making the confusing comparison. (As a side note, Echolink
has introduced many new hams to HF via 2-to-10 meter links, etc.   This is
not a bad thing.  But Echolink-to-Echolink contacts are, of course, just a
telephone call.).

This is a reflector about contesting.   In contesting, a qso/multiplier can
come from your next-door neighbor or around the world.   We don't care where
the op is sitting!   In fact, we don't even care if a (human) operator is
present. (Computer controlled contest stations HAVE been tried!).

A communications path established by a remotely controlled ham station is
RF, is on amateur frequencies, and will always be that way.   The internet
is just a tool.   Putting it another way, listening to Radio Canada
International on the Internet is not SWLing, but listening to Radio Canada
International on a remote receiver in China over the internet is.

If you are worried about protecting your VO1 turf from remote contesters, I
wouldn't worry -- nothing will happen soon... Unless Guss feels like a
vacation in Florida while SS is on... Maybe he can sip coladas in the sun
and had out mults at the same time :-).

Paul, EI5DI, asked "when is a QSO not a QSO?"   The answer is obvious: when
the QSO is not completed over radio, on amateur radio frequencies.   The
length of the mike cord/key/paddle/camera or tty unit does not matter.

Cheer up, Paul!  Ham radio is not going to hell in a hand cart.  It is
changing with the times.

BTW, this is a very timely topic.   A feature article in this months QST
explains how to do remote station operation over the internet.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM
Explore real-time competition in ham radio - post your score to
http://www.getscores.org!