Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF Champinship 2006 Results - comedy

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF Champinship 2006 Results - comedy
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 05:36:15 -0700
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 06:46:48AM -0400, Dallas and Lucy wrote:

> I think there are a number of reasons not to [publish logs].  For one, the
> contest committee is in a much better position to question and adjudicate
> irregularities.  That's why they get the big bucks (sic).  Opening the logs
> to public scrutiny results in mayhem on this and other boards and in the
> long run is not healthy for our sport.  Publishing logs is also a mammoth
> task requiring a lot of server space with no real return except to provide
> fodder for malcontents and nit pickers.

We seem to have gotten past this with Log Checking Reports.  I remember when
people were first getting their LCRs, there was a certain amount of
nitpicking and teeth grinding over specific QSOs, and concern that cheaters
would somehow deconstruct the log checking process and use it to their
advantage.  Instead, I think LCRs have been overall very healthy for the
sport - they are a great tool for learning about your own operating, and
they create a greater level of understanding and trust in the adjudication
process.

>                                          Many participants, and in
> particular new or small to moderate entrants, are often sensitive when it
> comes to the publishing of logs that reveal their competency level.  They
> are generally trying to improve their skills, and accept adjudication of
> errors, but don't really want the entire contest community bashing them in a
> public forum.  To them it is sort of like being tied to a post and beaten in
> the public square.  If you want to reduce the participation in contests,
> this is a sure fire way to do it.

This is a concern that I can understand, and I think is the main reason LCRs
are available only to the station operators and not to everyone else (at
least for ARRL and CQ contests).

Perhaps a place to start would be to publish the logs of all "Top Ten" entries
and see how the contesting community handles that.  Anyone making a Top Ten
score should not be ashamed of their competency or feel like they are being
beaten in a public square.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com