Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint

To: ku8e <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:44:05 -0400
Jeff,

I have to agree with you on this one.  I've heard K5ZD say many time
that good SO2R is undetectable to others on the band, and its my opinion
that this is true for those contesters who are good at it.  Not actively
listening for responses on a frequency you're CQing on does not fit that
description.  Sure, it's easier, but I think it makes you a lid in most
people's minds, simply because they're trying to work you and you're
operating in a way which precludes this.  Sounds like the definition of
a lid to me.

And since when is it legit for a single-op to transmit simultaneously on
two frequencies?  I know the ARRL does not allow it, but what is the
Sprint's stance on this?  Again, if you're CQing in two places and not
processing in real time the receive stream resulting from those CQs,
you're a lid as described above.

As a fan (and early adopter of SO2R), it really irritates me that
certain people are giving SO2R a bad name through their poor operating.
Going back to the statement attributed to K5ZD above, if SO2R were
practiced in such a way that it's undetectable on the bands, nobody
would be complaining (well, nobody except K4WW).  It seems to me that
the "first generation" of SO2Rers (going back to N2NT, K3UA, K3LR and
others in the 70s) knew this, but it's been lost on the "second
generation" of newcomers who seem to think it's "all about CQing".

73,

Dave/K8CC