Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint

To: "ku8e" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:26:11 -0500
Hi Jeff,

Considering sprints are hard enough as it is without a second radio, I agree
with most of what you're saying.

However, in the interests of understanding this thread, I looked up the
Special QSY Rule on NCJWeb.

The Special QSY rule prohibits making more than one Q on the same frequency
without at least one intervening Q at least 1 khz away on another (1 khz if
you're responding to a CQ, 5khz if you're initiating another CQ).

The only rule about initiating a solicitation is that it must be at least 5
khz away, which it would be if it's on a different band and that you can't
come back to the first frequency until you've completed at least one
intervening QSO. The rules are silent on your needing to complete a Q before
making another solicitation, or even completing another Q. Merely that the
solicitation must be 5 khz away.

So the only limitation on rocking back and forth between the same two
frequencies is that you have to finish the Q on one before you can have a Q
on the other. Which to my mind, is as Randy said: now you're just a flippin'
CQ machine again and the whole intended karma of the sprint goes out the
window.

The rest of the rules are silent on the issue of duelling CQs, which, as a
former SO2R heathen [ ;=) ] you know is different from simultaneous
transmision.

Be this as it may, isn't it interesting that the god of SO2R is now
suggesting it be removed from sprints?

None of this is intended as an argument in favour of SO2R. I'm just pointing
out that the rules as stated do not support some of the assumptions made
during this thread. But perhaps they should.

73, kelly
ve4xt

Special QSY Rule: If any station solicits a call (by sending CQ, QRZ?,
"going up 5 kHz," or any other means of soliciting a response, including
completion of a QSO where the frequency was inherited), they are permitted
to work only one station in response to that solicitation. They must
thereafter move at least 1 kHz before calling another station, or at least 5
kHz before soliciting other calls. Once a station is required to QSY, that
station is not allowed to make another QSO on the vacated frequency until or
unless at least one subsequent QSO is made on a new frequency.

.