Re: [CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CH. 21 - MACHO CONTESTING

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CH. 21 - MACHO CONTESTING
From: "Rick Tavan N6XI" <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:33:21 -0700
Instead of finding more things to ban, let's find more winning techniques to
encourage. It's rude, unethical, arguably against the rules and often
illegal in an FCC sense simply to plop down on a previously-enjoyed
frequency and start calling CQ. I'm not even convinced it's the fastest way
to make QSOs. But it's very common in Sprint for QSO couplets on different
frequencies to take approximately the same amount of time. This often makes
it practical to complete a couplet on Freq A, go execute a couplet on Freq
B, and then find the timing right to drop back in on A, provided that the
station that is inheriting A is one you need to work. The rhythm of Sprint
is such that the timing works out frequently. The need for the station is
most common when you have few Q's on Band A and declines as you work out the
band. But when the timing is right, you learn during your first transmitted
exchange on B that an unwanted station will inherit A. Thus you move on,
scanning Band A during your second transmitted exchange on B for another
frequency on A where a needed station about to inherit. The ideal rhythm,
then, alternates couplets on frequencies A and B. Lacking that, alternate
couplets on different frequencies on two bands with a bit more knob
twisting. Timing is everything. Sure wish I could do it better!

/Rick N6XI