Re: [CQ-Contest] A Newcomers Question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Newcomers Question
From: Paul Young <youngp@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:07:48 -0500
Hi Dave,

I can give you a few examples of how this happens:

1.  You are on 20 meters in the morning calling Europeans.  In
     Europe it is afternoon and the skip is short.  The European
     stations are hearing each other really well and they can't
     copy you through their neighbors' splatter.

2.  You are on 160 calling a Caribbean station.  The station is
     in the tropics and has a very high static level.  He hears
     crashes and hiss and wishes he had a receiving antenna.

3.  You are on 40 meters calling a station who is operating
     split.  Unfortunately a foreign broadcast station starts
     transmitting music on his listening frequency and it is
     S9+60 dB.

4.  Your antenna is not pointed where you think it is.

Hmmm, that pretty much describes last weekend.

For the CW contest I'll be 6V7D and I will probably be QRP.  So
if you hear me I should be able to hear you.

                         Paul, K1XM