Re: [CQ-Contest] A Contester's Dilemma,or when is it necessary to take t

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Contester's Dilemma,or when is it necessary to take the fall for someone else?
From: "hank k8dd" <k8dd@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:48:44 -0500
Yep - as one of those QRPers this year in SS CW that not only happened to me
a couple of times, but I would expect it.  And I think most QRP stations
would understand.

If the other station can't get my exchange because I'm weak or because
he/she can't hear me, then it's not a good QSO.
But I don't expect
     you to take a hit because you left me in the log knowing it's wrong
     you to cause me a NIL because you said TU and then hit F11 (delete the
QSO)

73    Hank    K8DD

On Nov 14, 2007 11:34 AM, Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you work someone, and they have been given the impression that the QSO
> was
> completed successfully (i.e. by completing it with "TU N2IC SS"), then you
> are
> obligated to leave the QSO in your log. If you cannot complete a QSO, then
> make
> it very clear that it is a busted QSO (i.e. "K2QRP NIL NIL TRY LATER 73
> N2IC SS").
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC
>
> Dennis McAlpine wrote:
> > Since moving to SC I have noticed that it is generally considered a
> pretty rare multiplier where states or sections are used as mults, e.g.
> SS, ARRL DX, etc.  That then raises the dilemma of when to sacrifice
> accuracy for the benefit of the other guy.
> >
> > Several times during the recent CW SS, I was called by some weak signals
> that were in and out of the mud.  Try as I could, I was unable to copy their
> full exchange.  In several cases, they were sending a QRP precedence.  I
> think they copied my exchange ok since there was no request for repeats  (I
> think).
> >
> > Here's the dilemma (bet you never thought it was coming).  I know I
> should not count the contact since I am pretty sure I did not copy his
> exchange correctly.  But, if I delete the contact, that poor weak station
> might miss SC as a mult since I was one of relatively few SC stations on.
>  Particularly if he didn't go searching for another SC since he thought I
> would be his mult.  So, should I leave the QSO in the log knowing that it
> will probably be deleted from my score and I will lose mega points due to
> the penalty  (assuming that the log checkers actually find my error) but the
> poor little weak guy will get his SC mult?
> >
> > I wonder if Jay goes through this self questioning when he is operating
> from NT (or is it NWT?)?
> >
> > For those who have persevered through this diatribe and need to know my
> answer, I opted to include several QSOs that probably had bad info in them,
> just so the other guy got credit for a rare mult.  So, Mr. Log Checker, see
> if you can find the hat.  Ah, yes, rarity has its downfalls too.
> >
> > See ya in Phone SS (just a little) so you can have that rare SC mult.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Dennis, K2SX/4
> > Pawleys Island, SC (a.k.a. "a rare mult")

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.'      -anon