Re: [CQ-Contest] Shall we argue how many Angels can dance on,the head of

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Shall we argue how many Angels can dance on,the head of a pin?
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:02:18 -0500
On Nov 14, 2007, at 9:32 PM, K0HB wrote:

>> We have a philosophy of encouraging worthy modes of operation....
>>

> What factors does the "arbiter of worthiness" apply to this
> philosophical
> process?

        Whatever I decide! ;^)

Well that's the short answer. Makes me look like a dictator though.

Let's take the CW scoring as an example:

I won't go over the reasons why Hams should use CW Morse. We all know
them.

Giving a mode more points is based on encouraging the use of the
mode. CW has many things going for it, but development of the skill
set can be an issue. Want those two point QSO's? Get the skills and
they await.

DIgital modes were another addition that garner more points. While
RTTY is a "big boy" and hardly needs encouragement, I'm a firm
believer that PSK in it's various flavors is something Hams should
know how to do. So we give 'em two points per QSO. And contesting
using PSK is an interesting challenge to say the least.

QRP is encouraged because it makes for another skill set. We had
tossed around the idea of what constitutes QRP a few years ago. Some
thought it meant homebrew equipment, some 5 watts into a simple
antenna, others thought that 5 watts into beams wasn't QRP. Quite a
dilemma.

Given that there would always be disagreement, QRP means what it
means - 5 watts or less. We don't discriminate against type of
antenna. If a person wants to compete with a really good antenna they
can, and if they want to set up in a Park with an FT-817 and a
Miracle Whip (tm) they can. The Beam antenna will almost always do
better - although in the hands of a good op that little rig in the
park can do surprisingly well.

        But the final decisions for us are based on the philosophy that
better operators and better setups will tend to win out. When Ops and
stations work toward that end, amateur radio is served well.

        That being said, We encourage the friendly aspect of the party too.
People often give up their run frequency to allow another to get a
rare or needed county, then the other Op hands it back afterward.
Lots of non-competitive things going on in that competition. In
general the "good neighbor" aspect is followed by  everyone. Kind of
a weird mix of competition and helping the other guy or gal out, I
suppose.

        - 73 de Mike N3LI -