Re: [CQ-Contest] Shall we argue how many Angels can dance on,the head of

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>, "Mike Coslo" <mjc5@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Shall we argue how many Angels can dance on,the head of a pin?
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:11:23 -0000
> >We have a philosophy of encouraging worthy modes of operation, which is
> >why we give CW contacts 1.5 and 2 points per contact (next year all CW
> >QSO's will be worth 2 points) But we're encouraging CW, not giving a
> >"head start" to CW Ops so to speak.
>
> ------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------
>
> I'm all in favor of encouraging more operators and different modes,
> but I don't think multiplying scores is a good way to do it. Your
> policy would indeed encourage CW, but it would also have the effect of
> discouraging phone. Is that what you want?
>
> IMO, it is better to have separate classes for CW, phone and mixed and
> let people enter what ever class they want.

I agree with Bill on this one.  Amateur Radiosport should be free of
"social engineering" and scoring schemes which attempt to coerce operators
into "worthy modes".

>  I won't go over the reasons why Hams should use CW Morse.
> We all know them.

I thoroughly enjoy the use of CW Morse, and that's the ONLY reason within
the context of Radiosport that a participant should use it --- because they
enjoy it, not because a contest sponsor thinks that the mode needs to be
subsidized by the point structure.

73, de Hans, K0HB