Re: [CQ-Contest] SOxR -- enough already

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SOxR -- enough already
From: "Greg Fields" <gwfields@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:55:13 -0600
> A station with only one radio can not compete against one with two.
> Other factors being equal, they will lose every time, just as an LP
> station will lose to an HP station every time.  Some people will want
> to add a second radio just as some people will want to add an
> amplifier, but nobody should have to do either to be competitive. That
> is why the various classes exist in the first place - to keep
> competition as equal as reasonably possible and make it fair and fun
> for all.

Adding a second radio isn't like turning on an amplifier. Heck, anyone can
go out and buy and amp and run it in a contest. It's easy. Hook it up, turn
it on, and go!

Adding a second radio doesn't make one competitive if they don't know how to
do SO2R. In fact, I say from experience a second radio at first is such a
distraction that it subtracts from the score. I have been working on SO2R
for about 8 years now in SS and NAQP. It has taken a lot of time to get to
the point where the second radio has actually become productive for me. It
takes a log of mental gymnastics to be able to make it work. It's definitely
a skill one must learn and that's the whole point. SO2R is a skill an
operator learns to be competitive. It's not throwing a switch and instantly
being competitive. For those who don't want to make the effort you can still
enjoy the contest but, don't expect to beat someone who has put all the time
and effort into becoming proficient at S02R.

Contesting is also not about being fair for all. If that were the case then
some sort of new rule needs to be put in place for us in the Black Hole to
compete with the rest of you in propagation advantaged areas. Come to
Minnesota and you'll see what I'm talking about. :-)

73,

Greg K0OB