[CQ-Contest] MO2R ?

To: <ve3cx@shaw.ca>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] MO2R ?
From: "Professional Home Inspections" <Paul@ProHomeInspector.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:39:00 -0500
Tom, this is a really GREAT synopsis of SO2R now how about MO2R? The same
thing as SO2R but with multiple ops. Some contests state multi-op, but only
1 transmitter on the air at a time - thus MO2R. I have never seen a thread
on this, but MO2R IS happening.
It will be interesting to see the resulting thread of this query.

Paul K2DB

> First off, I don't think there is a book on SO2R, and no, I didn't write
> it.  I have been away from ham radio and contesting for a number of years,
> and upon returning was hit with all this talk of SO2R.  I did quite a bit
of
> research on the Internet to get up to speed.  With that out of the way, I
> recently joined the ranks of SO2R, and will be happy to share my
> experiences.
>
> First off - SO2R - as its name implies - Single Operator, 2 Radio.  The
> first thing you need to know going in is - this is somewhat of a money
pit.
>  Just when you think you have all the pieces, you will need a few more.
And
> then a few more.  Not trying to discourage you, but think - two radios,
two
> amps, audio switching, filters, along with additional antennas and
> feedlines.  It is a big step - make sure you are using one radio for all
its
> worth before adding in a second one.  If you want the best bang for your
> buck - think better (and more) antennas FIRST.
>
> SO2R is not a magic bullet to improve your score.  It is a tool that you
> need to learn how to use.  When you get good at it, your scores will
> improve.  At the same time, you will be a more proficient operator - also
> leading to improved scores.
>
> The first thing you will need is a second rig.  Naturally, it will need an
> antenna - even a long wire will do for starters.  Next, we need a way to
> listen to it, and the main rig at the same time.  This is where stereo
> headphones come in.  Several people developed a variety of home-made boxes
> to handle audio, but the easiest is to buy a commercial box.  The box
> connects both radios to a headset and your computer.  Next, we need a way
> select the antenna(s).  Most people use a box call a Six Pack.  This is a
> six port antenna switch with two outputs (one for each radio).  There is a
> built-in interlock so you cannot connect both radios to the same antenna
> (think blown front end).
>
> Next, we need some filters.  When transmitting on one radio, the antenna
> on the second rig will pick up some RF.  Too much RF = blown front end.
> prevent this from happening, you need some filters - either coax stubs, or
> commercial filters.  Naturally, you need one for each radio, and a way to
> automatically select the right filter at the right time for each radio.
You