Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III - Antennas

To: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III - Antennas
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <K6LL@ARRL.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:51:24 -0000
From: "Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>
To: "CQcontest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:15 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Technical Question - Round III -
Antennas

> Antennas.  I think I have an issue with antennas because
> of make up of my location.  I have a 60 foot tower with a
> C3E - 80 and 40 meter inverted -V dipoles on separate
> feedlines but at the same height on the tower, a 160 meter
> Inverted-L on the tower...and a full size quarter-wave
> vertical in the yard with 32 radials.  I was planning on
> changing out the vertical for a Butternut 6 band model or
> something similar, but as I was looking at the
> installation the antenna would be very close to both the
> 160 -80- and 40 meter antennas....less than 15 feet.  I am
> on an 80 by 150 foot lot.  (I think SO2R is gonna get
> expensive when I tell the YL we have to move!)  So, is it
> worthwhile to even consider doing SO2R on such a small lot
> because of the proximity of the antennas.

------------------------------------
My antennas are all within 15 feet of each other. W7WW's are
within 8 feet of one another on a single 70 foot crankup. We
both run high power. SO2R is definitely do-able on a small
lot, or even on a single tower.

I suggest a Steppir triband dipole above your C3E. The
Steppir won't mess up the C3 because it will always be set
for a different band. The tribander won't affect the Steppir
much, because the Steppir is just a dipole. Use the Steppir
for S&P and the tribander for running. A nice straight
dipole at 65 feet is plenty loud enough for S&P. If you have
trouble getting through with the dipole, you can flip the
6-pak. In fact, I've got a position on the 6-pak switch that
will flip the big antenna to the active radio (driven by the
A/B signal on the computer's LPT port).

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.