Re: [CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup

To: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:56:11 -0500
>Once again, if you mix the internet and amateur radio,
>however you describe it, it is no longer amateur
>radio and you are no radio amateur.

>73,
>Paul EI5DI

I beg your pardon Sir. I am a radio amateur, licensed without lapse
since 1976, 2004 radio amateur of the year, and the founder of the Young
Ham Contest Program.

I'll be darned if I will stand by while you or anyone else claims
otherwise.

I am quite certain that amateur radio is far greater than that which you
or I envision it to be. This in and of itself is the single strength
that keeps amateur radio alive today and has done so since its
inception. The diversity of this great hobby is the well oiled engine
that drives us forward year after year. It isn't contesting, DX'ing, rag
chewing, nets, HF, VHF, low band DX'ing, satellites, repeaters, EME, you
or I, it is simply the diversity of the hobby!

Why would you want to restrict that diversity?

On your QRZ.COM bio, I see you developed a logging program for amateur
radio. Since when is rig control by a computer considered amateur radio?
See a spot, click it, work him and move on. Amateur radio you call it,
bah humbug! If the radio operator is not physically making the
adjustment on the radio by twisting the knob or pushing the button,
surely he cannot be a radio amateur, can he?

You seem to be quite narrow minded regarding what technology that can
and cannot be classified as amateur radio.

Fortunately, for the rest of us, it is lucky that EI5DI is not the sole
arbiter of what can and cannot be considered amateur radio and whom may
and may not be considered an amateur radio operator, lest amateur radio
would certainly cease to exist.

In closing, I ask, when was your last spark gap transmission?

Peace,

David ~ KY1V
2004 "Radio Amateur" of the Year