Re: [CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup

To: W6SX Hank Garretson <w6sx@npgcable.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re; Skimmer Ultimate Setup
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:21:28 -0500

I agree with you in many aspects, Hank. My comments were clear that they
applied to CW and SSB only, not to RTTY where the machine decoding is
essential. In fact, RTTY is the ideal category to move ahead into
machine-enabled receiving and Skimming and automatic responding.

As far as CW is concerned, I also agree that CW readers allow people with
no, or limited, CW copying ability to take part. That is good, as it brings
more participation, and encourages more people into CW at a minimum. Some
may go on to high levels of CW proficiency. However I get concerned when we
"fast forward" to the next step, where one's own receiver populates a band
map. Technically, this is a clear S/O capability as neither packet nor any
other assistance was obtained. It's clear that if Skimming technology
proves to be as effective as the potential suggests, then Skimming will be
required to be competitive in CW contesting. One can argue that this is
akin to SO2R in the sense it's required to be competitive. That would be
correct.

Then take it one step further, and the software is advanced to *call* these
stations automatically and make machine-to-machine contacts, unassisted in
any way by a human operator. This is a bad forward trajectory in my
opinion. It takes CW contesting, at least, to robotics. If we want to allow
robotically operated CW (or longer term, SSB) contests to be the way of the
future, then we need take no additional restrictions and allow the
technology to move on. Define "assisted" to involve anything from other
people, and "unassisted" to allow any and all machine enhancements as long
as no other people are involved. It's a valid policy issue, and it is coming.

"Machine assistance" is tricky, as there are a long list of terrific
technology improvements which have made contesting more efficient and more
enjoyable. I try to take advantage of these here and do not resist them at
all. However if the technology moves us to the point where "machine
assistance/efficiency" takes the operator out of the loop in an essential
way, we have to take a hard look at it. Like Tree recently said so well, at
that point, perhaps the sport has passed some of us by. One of those
probably would be me.

We surely do live in interesting times!

73, Jim N3BB

Jim