Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmers etc

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmers etc
From: John Bastin <bastinj@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:45:31 -0400
On Jun 3, 2008, at 22:10 , Neal Campbell wrote:

> The feeling that if you aren't a 30-40 wpm guy you don't really love
> it is exactly the intimidating spirit I was referring to and why it
> will help some of us play more in cw contests than before.

I looked again at what I said, and I guess it was said poorly; in no
way did I mean to imply that slower-speed ops "don't really love"
contesting.

> The guys who really do it for the love of it, especially those that
> fit your definition of it,  might feel that Skimmer takes the
> skill/love out of it and move on. Whether I use it or not isn't the
> issue, its whether the real dedicated cw contest ops feel it
> diminishes their love of contesting. A few I have heard speak feel it
> does.

Maybe so. I can only speak for myself when I say that if I was worried
about the hardware/software comparison between my station and others
around me, I would never have started contesting in the first place.

I enter contests to have fun, when it ceases to be fun I shut off the
rig and do something else. My enjoyment has very little to do with
what other stations are using, hardware and software. Perhaps the
contesters you have talked to feel differently.

73,

John Bastin K8AJS
bastinj@gmail.com