[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?

To: "VE5ZX" <ve5zx@hotmail.com>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL and Open Logs - Time for the next step?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:45:55 -0400
At 11:54 AM 7/27/2008, VE5ZX wrote:
>Hopefully this indicates that soon ARRL contest logs will be made public
>too.
>
>... Sylvan
>
>Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX
>Saskatoon, SK

I hope so.  I see absolutely no reason for them not to do it.

I understand that the scenario they used to worry about was that K4xx, for
a hypothetical example, would see a QSO with N4xx by a rare station and
write to the manager claiming that it was "just a miscopy."  If the manager
bought that, then he would send a QSL to someone who wasn't "deserving".

Well, this has never made much sense, and it makes even less sense in the
context of open contest logs.  Sure, we need to encourage QSL managers to
ignore such fishing requests, but suppose someone *were* to use this
technique to cheat on DXCC.  That would work until the first time both he
and I applied with cards for the same QSO, at which time he would be *so*
busted.

But let's carry the discussion a step further.  Once a station's log in an
ARRL contest has been submitted and checked, why  shouldn't ARRL
automatically enter those QSOs as confirmed in LOTW, if both stations
already have LOTW certificates on file?  It seems to me that this step
would be technically quite manageable, and would be a powerful incentive
for more people to participate in both ARRL contests and LOTW.  Then carry
it a step further, and develop an agreement between ARRL and CQ to do the
same for CQ contests. Even more incentive!

73, Pete N4ZR