[CQ-Contest] virus, hacks, backup, "go back"....oh my

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] virus, hacks, backup, "go back"....oh my
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:39:20 +0000 (GMT)
SJG:

I use Norton Internet Security and have not had any issues with hacks, viruses,
etc.  Been
running some version of it for many years (over 5) on various systems.  I've
done (or, "it"
has done) weekly updates for every one of those years... quite painless.  I'm
connected
all the time via high speed cable, so plenty of opportunity to hack in.

XP already does a "go back" for you and I've used that too when one of the
offspring
decides to download something that is not a virus, but somehow corrupts some
things and
things don't work as they should.  It seems to give me a "restore" point on a
daily basis,
going back at least 3 weeks (as I recall).

I understand that Maxtor external hard drives also allow you to do this,
including a reboot,
from the external box.  Not sure how big your HD is, but you can get their
160Gb drive
(tiny by today's standards) for just $69 brand new from CompUSA (no
relationship).

Good luck!
de Doug KR2Q