Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:24:14 -0400
Robert Naumann wrote:
> Randy,
>
> One other thing that someone can do is observe how others who do well in
> contest (such as yourself and other HOF guys) conduct themselves when
> running a pileup or while S&Ping a band.
>
> Last weekend, as I tuned across VP2E, not only did I recognize Jeff's voice,
> I was reminded of how smooth and consistent an operator he still is - even
> after a few years of lost focus on bicycling. Not once did he end a QSO with
> QRZ? for example. Every qso ended with Victor Papa Two Echo. His results
> speak for themselves.
>
> Sometimes when doing as you recommend, "Start at the bottom of the band and
> see how fast you can search and pounce your way to the top", I find that
> someone else is hitting the same stations that I am. But it seems that he's
> getting to them faster than I am - why is that? What's he doing differently?
> Paying attention to someone who is "better" for a few minutes can teach some
> lessons. I might find out that he's not sending "NW CPY" at the beginning of
> each exchange which enables him to go faster. He also might not be repeating
> his exchange twice like I programmed into F2 and instead he is only sending
> it once. It seems the station he works copies it right the first time most
> often. That would save time too.
>
> Lastly, if there is a multi-op station in the area, getting to one of them
> and seeing how people actually operate is a great learning opportunity. I
> remember seeing W2RQ running stations on CW while carrying on a conversation
> in the shack at the same time without skipping a beat either way. Amazing.
>
> 73,
>
> Bob W5OV

A tried and proved suggestion when that repeatedly being beaten out by
another station also moving up the band in the scenario that W5OV sets
forth is to move to the top of activity and move down the band.  To do
that, you may want to reverse the CW control on your rig so that you are
receiving on the opposite sideband.  I much prefer to hear the high
pitch first and tune toward the lower pitch and then into the zero,
rather than vice versa.

I usually tune from the bottom up so that I don't accidentally call
someone outside of the band or outside my band segment.  If you
habitually tune from the top of the band down (like my former WRTC
partner W4AN advocated), you can easily suddenly find that you have
called someone too low in the band or out of the band.

Hope to work you all in the upcoming contest season, including from PJ4A
with KU8E and W4OC in CQWW CW.  We should be QRV outside the contest
with PJ4/homecalls Nov 26 to Dec 3.

73,

John, K4BAI.