Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How do you get better?
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:04:31 -0400
Tom Osborne wrote:

>> "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" the guy asked his cab driver.  The
>> reply,
>> "Practice. Practice. Practice."
>>
>> I think we all can acknowledge that practice is an important part of
>> learning and improving any skill.  Sports players practice, sometimes for
>> years.  Kids learning musical instruments practice.  Very few people are a
>> "natural" who can just pick something up and be instantly good at it.
>>
>> Why does no one ever talk about practice with regard to radio contests?
>>

> Hi Randy
>
> Be sure to get on tonight at 0230 for the NCCC SS practice.  We  had a bunch
> on last night and some commented that they found some problems in their
> setups that will be fixed today.  Now is the time to find out what isn't
> working, not after the SS starts :-)  73
> Tom W7WHY

Yes.  In Thursday night's practice, at least three stations had very bad
CW notes.  One cleaned his up immediately after I told him about it.
The other two, unfortunately, were S&P and I never got a chance to QSO
them and tell them about their notes.  I hope one of their contacts did
so.  Also, not only are the practices a good time to check everything
out beforehand, but they are a fun half hour.  73, John, K4BAI.