[CQ-Contest] Wee hour AP openings on dead bands at multis

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Wee hour AP openings on dead bands at multis
From: jpescatore@aol.com
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:17:27 -0500
I remember operating 40 or 80 overnight at W3LPL in the 86/87 timeframe, when
being near the bottom of the cycle
meant 20 and 15 shut down completely at night. On the second night, I'd been
running on 40/80 and had just turned
it over to someone else to take a break at something like 0230 local. I look
over at the 20M position and Dave KM3T
was sound asleep with his headphones on and his head on the desk. He'd been on
20 all day and then was grinding
it out chasing LUs and the like into the early am and those 10 rate hours just
lulled him right to sleep.

I heard noise from his headset and sat down at the mult position and tuned in -
there were scads of VKs and ZLs and
other Pacific stations on the band, many of them mobile driving around. I
gently pulled the log sheet out from under
Dave's head (yes, sheet - it was paper logging) and worked a page (not screen)
or two of them before the opening
fizzled out. Many of them said LPL was the only non-local signal on the band -
they thought it was someone playing
a joke.

John K3TN