Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ TEST or CQ DX

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ TEST or CQ DX
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:32:48 -0500
Well, I don't think that's the problem. I've had stateside stations
call me even when I call "CQ DX."  Maybe they want to confirm the
state or county, or simply just want to work me for some other reason.

I just work 'em and move on.

If I get a pileup of stateside when I call CQ DX then I have a
problem, and I'll politely say something like, "Gentlemen, I am
calling CQ DX, please do not answer if you are not DX."  or on CW "PSE
DX ONLY TU". But I have never had that problem since most people honor
directional CQs.

Ryan, N2RJ

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Part of the reason US stations call is that we are calling "CQ TEST", not "CQ
> DX".  95% of the time, somebody calling "CQ TEST" is perfectly happy to get a
> contact from anywhere, including same-country stations.  I'm not suggesting
> anybody change the way they call CQ, just pointing out that from the call it
> is not intuitively obvious that only DX stations are being sought.  Work 'em
> and move on - if you log them, fine.  If you are getting a lot of them, then
> maybe calling CQ DX would be a good strategy.
>
> 73, Ward N0AX (thanks to our DX friends for great fun at K3LR)

Ryan A. Jairam,