Re: [CQ-Contest] Now Official: The Netherlands Antilles Will Be Dissolve

To: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Now Official: The Netherlands Antilles Will Be Dissolved on 10-10-10
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:44:49 -0400
Ron,

 > That being said, I would seriously doubt that the under the
 > upcoming political change, the existing two N.A. entities
 > would be consolidated into one.

It would not be consolidating the two existing Netherlands Antilles
entries into one ... it would be deleting the two current entities
and replacing them with three new ones (Curacao, St. Maarten, and
the BES Islands) assuming that the Department of State adds
Curacao and St Maarten to the "Dependencies" list as they did with
Aruba.

In theory, both Netherlands Antilles entities cease to exist and
become "Deleted Countries" at midnight local time on 10/10/10 when
Netherlands Antilles officially disappears.   Since the distance
between islands is less than 800 km, the entire group should become
a single "Island Group" until the various islands are added to the
Department of State list.  However, I suspect DXCC will keep the
current Netherlands Antilles entities on the list until there is
some action by Department of State or the UN.

Personally, I would prefer DXAC and the DXCC desk avoid any new
"deleted countries" by making Bonaire the "successor entity" to
PJ2/4 and Saba/St. Eustatius the "successor entity" to PJ5/6/7.
Given the extremely long reintegration period and the open-ended
period for the BES Islands to continue using local currency/US
Dollars, one can argue the dissolution of the Netherlands Antilles
does not create a significant change in status for the BES Islands
while the situation vis a vis Curacao and St. Maarten is the same
as Aruba.

 > Those who are spending a lot of money in anticipation of being
 > "the first" to activate their hopeful new entities are taking a
 > gamble.  They know, or should know, the risks.  But that's their
 > chance to take; why throw cold water on it?

I don't know that I'm "throwing cold water on it" - just pointing
out that it took the Department of State nine months to add St.
Barts to the "dependencies" list and absent that action, any new
entities can't be added to the DXCC list under the current rules.
Now the Department of State might surprise me but I doubt updating
an insignificant document has any priority for that bureaucracy.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV