Re: [CQ-Contest] From VO1DD re Interference with emergency traffic

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] From VO1DD re Interference with emergency traffic
From: "Edward" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 07:00:26 -0500
Doug, You sound like a sincere and level headed op from this post and thank
you for the service you are providing to the ham radio community.  Here are
a couple of my opinions on the situation you describe based on my 20+ years
of contesting experience:

-          You were right in assuming that speaking on SSB to a contesting
CW op would not work.  Personally, I am typically using 250hz filter
bandwidth with steep skirts and often listening back and forth on the upper
and lower sideband of the center frequency.  I would never hear you.

-          How is your German?  A huge number of non-english speaking
contesters and DXers only know the callsigns and exchange and a few Q
designators.  Even if the German ham was well intended, he very likely had
no idea what you tried to say unless you sent SOS to him.

-          When that didn't work, and recognizing a serious situation is at
hand, did you QSY to a clear frequency up the band?  I personally know that
the wall of CW did not get much above 14.125 since I was up there numerous
times.

-          I was not aware of your net frequency or service until this
posting.

-          Even now being aware, as you probably are aware, the US amateur
regulations specifically state that no amateur operator "owns" a frequency,
20 year net schedule or not.  So as the unintentional QRM began, here in the
US, it would be as much your obligation as the German operators obligation
to move to a new frequency, unless a emergency or significant health and
welfare situation exists (which arguably it did in this case).  I certainly
hope for the sake of the vessel in need, you moved up 5 or 10 kc to stay on
top of the situation given your reasonable efforts to move the German
contester failed.

The fact is that there were over 5,000 has contesting last weekend.  From a
spectrum allocation standpoint, it would be more prudent for your net to
move once in a while to continue its good service than to force 99% of the
traffic volume of last weekend into a smaller spectrum so that 1% can go on
as if it's a normal weekday.  Likely 350 days a year, that is the case
without issue.  The rest of us would appreciate a little consideration for
the 16 days a year that would help us out.

All that being said, had I been the op, I would have quickly moved for you.
But I understand english fluently.

73,

Ed N1UR