Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-IS] Just one weekend

To: <DX-IS@yahoogroups.com>, "DX-QSO" <dx-qso@yahoogroups.com>, "TCDXA" <tcdxa-list@tcdxa.org>, "MWA Reflector" <MWA@w0aa.org>, "Strictly-DX" <Strictly_DX@yahoogroups.com>, "TCDXA" <tcdxa-list@tcdxa.org>, "DX-QSO" <dx-qso@yahoogroups.com>, "CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [DX-IS] Just one weekend
From: <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:27:14 -0700
Bob,

I’m an old man.  A gentle old man.

The notion of of a quiet weekend “turning the big knob” to sort through all
that noise and hissing on HF are the reasons I love ham radio. Reasons like
John, 9M2GV, an expat Brit running a rubber plantation overlooking the
Mallacca Straits. Reasons like Sparky, W3UBM/MM making the Pacific runs on
the rusty old SS Manderson Victory. Reasons like working K0IR (as VK0IR) on
three modes and five bands from Heard Island, almost at the antipode on the
low side of the freckles-del-Sol. In other words, picking out an almost
ghostly signal from the molecular noise of the universe and finding a
friend, a kindred soul playing exuberantly in the ether.

I’m not a Luddite, harkening to a "simpler time" but rather a lover of
"radio for radios sake" wishing to expose todays Amateurs (with a capital
"A") to what "brung us here".

It would be so easy.

73, de Hans, K0HB