Re: [CQ-Contest] Baggage Charges for Expeditions

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Baggage Charges for Expeditions
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:24:30 -0000
The baggage charges lately are really high.  In March, I spent days packing,
weighing, giving away and selling items and re-packing, throwing things away
and re-packing again when coming home from Aruba I and still paid US Airways
hundreds of dollars in luggage fees.  One thing that I did discover is that
First Class was allowed two free 70# bags and the upgrade fee at the time
was $200.  This was less than the excess baggage fee for two 70# bags,
however unfortunately there were no upgradeable seats available on my
flight.  Another option is a freight forwarder, but getting the items though
customs can also be expensive and it requires more effort than carrying
luggage.  Perhaps some of your guest operators can each bring a few items.
I used to carry aluminum tubing in a golf bag and no one ever questioned the
contents, I wonder if they look inside it now to confirm if it is really
sporting equipment?

GL,
John KK9A / P40A